Chapter 2
War, all the time.
Waking up at hours this morning which i only see on days that i fly, is an a long day. But for some things this long day is worth it. Today was one of those. My assignment for the day was to go downtown and get some photos for a story on a upcoming concert. Not knowing what today was going to hold i rolled out of bed, after hitting snooze three or more times, incoherently to myself, and half crawling over to turn on the heaters. I soon dressed and found myself in a cab en route.
Once there,I found myself being met by a very friendly lady named Mary, whom, until this point, I had only ever talked to via e-mail. She invited me in and showed me the rehearsal space, the front room of a bright old, right side half of a duplex. While we waited for the others to arrive she tuned her harpsichord and gave me a short lesson on the instrument.
Soon after the final two showed up and rehearsal began. AT first I was just taking photos when they played. Then as I began to listen to what they were talking about I realised that a note on a piece of paper isn't just a note that will always sounds the same, rather it was a basic structure that changed and was unique to the one who played it. Suddenly I could hear the difference.
Almost 2 hours after I arrived I thanked them for putting up with me, and was thanked in return and given complementary tickets for the show.
I hopped in a cab again, and soon arrived inside my door with sleep in my eyes, but I had so much to do, not to mention hungry. Michael and I took a trip up to the mall for lunch, and to get a few things for the house. On the way down tho we got pulled into the pawn store at the end of the road.
I've had all the intentions of getting a guitar since the summer, and today was the right day.
Eventually we get home, we put everything in a semi reasonable place, and we save the world, or at least until Call of Duty 3 comes out. Next came the first chapter. Then we play guitar.
"she's a good girl, loves her mama
Loves Jesus and America too
She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis
Loves horses and her boyfriend to..."
Now listening to the two of us playing (me not very well most of the time, but despite that) there is noticeable differences in the sounds we make while playing the same notes. This is exactly what I just realised this morning. I just think it was funny, how I noticed the same thing twice in one day that I had never once thought about before.
I like Tom Petty. There is something so minimalistic about his music, something so simple, so calm, that it has always had the capability to take me away.
"He's simple. Kind of like the Bob Dylan of pot, that's Versus the real Bob Dylan of drugs and alcohol.
They both play simple melodies with a story behind them."
1 comment:
keep practicing that guitar and we'll have you on stage someday with us!
Post a Comment